One Pan Chicken and Wild Rice Recipe
Ohh how much do we love one pan dinners that are as versatile as can be? LOTS!
This super easy chicken and wild rice dish is sort of a cross between a stir fry and a fried rice. It is so easy to throw together and only takes about fifteen minutes from go to woah. Plus you can use whatever vegetables your family will eat so this rice recipe is definitely a keeper!
Here is what you’ll need to make this fabulously quick and healthy family meal.
Two chicken breast fillets, a packet of stir fry vegetables, two packets of precooked wild rice mix, some frozen peas, a couple of shallots, olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic and chicken stock. Also (not pictured) some soy sauce and (optional) sesame seeds to serve.
Regarding the vegetables — I grabbed whatever I found easiest and ran with it, you probably should too. If your version of easiest is to grate a couple of carrots and open a tin of corn, fantastic, that works too. Loads of different veggies would work well in this recipe, and you are only limited by your imagination.
Regarding the rice — my kids love this stuff, but buy whatever suits your family. I got these two packets for about $3-$4 total and it’s pre-cooked ready to pop straight into your pot. If they sold wild rice raw, I would have probably just used that but I couldn’t find it and now here we are. I think this is a much better option because it takes exactly 23 seconds to prepare. Too easy!
There are loads of pre-cooked rice options in the supermarket, buy the one your family will like the most. Hell, use quinoa if you really want to. I’m all about different options for different people!
Also, if you like your meals spicy, go ahead and add some chilli sauce or a fresh chilli. My kids do not like that sort of thing so we went without.
To make this meal, you simply fry your chopped chicken in a big pan with the garlic and olive oil. Then add the veggies and stir. Then add the rice and stir. Then add the chicken stock and soy sauce and stir. DONE!
How is that for simple?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 1 packet of stir fry vegetables (or the equivalent in whatever vegetables you have)
- 3/4 cup of frozen peas
- 2 x 250g packets of pre-cooked wild rice mix
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Long red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium high heat. Add minced garlic, chicken and salt and pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add frozen peas and stir fry vegetables and stir to combine. Cook, stirring until just tender.
- Add the wild rice to the pan and gently break up with a spoon. Add the chicken stock and soy sauce and stir until well combined and heated through.
- Serve immediately with chopped shallots and sesame seeds on top, and finely chopped chilli if using.