Lemon and Herb Fish Fillets Recipe
One of my family’s favourite meals is a simple lemon and herb fish fillet served with steamed veggies and baby potatoes. The flavours aren’t too strong for littler tummies and everyone really enjoys having fish for a change.
Best of all, you can often get a great deal on white fish fillets from your local fisherman’s co-op or supermarket. I bought six fillets of fish for this meal for just $4.50. What a great budget tummyfiller!
I spent more on fresh herbs than I did on the fish itself, which reminds me — I really must get that herb garden planted!
But anyway, here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious light meal.
Olive oil, one lemon, lots of fresh herbs — think parsley, basil, mint, thyme and rosemary, or use whatever you have on hand and enjoy. There are no hard and fast rules here. Plus you’ll need enough fish to feed everyone. This recipe makes enough herby oil for up to 6 fish fillets so you might need to add a little more oil and herbs if you are cooking for more.
Chop the herbs finely and reserve about one tablespoonful — you’ll need those for sprinkling at the end! Then pour the oil, herbs and lemon juice into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the fish and turn to coat in the herby oil.
That’s pretty much it!
Serve sprinkled with leftover herbs, baby chat potatoes, steamed vegetables and a lemon wedge. I hope you enjoy this meal as much as my family do.
- 4 to 6 fresh white fish fillets
- One lemon – half juiced, half to serve
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed herbs – such as mint, parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary (1 tbsp reserved for serving)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Baby potatoes and steamed vegetables to serve
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice and almost all the herbs into a bowl and add the fish, turning to coat in the herb oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon some of the oil into a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the fish for 5 to 7 minutes each side, drizzling with remaining oil as it cooks.
- Transfer to a plate and serve sprinkled with remaining herbs, potatoes, steamed vegetables and lemon wedges.