Honey Soy and Garlic Chicken Recipe
This recipe for honey soy and garlic chicken is amazing — seriously! There was much plate-licking at my table when I made this for my family, and they are already begging me to make it again. Plus the leftover chicken pieces are delicious on sandwiches too!
I knew I had to come up with a recipe for honey soy chicken after my daughter chose this meal at a restaurant during a family holiday to Darling Harbour in Sydney. She absolutely raved about it and forced me to try some. Oh wow. I could see why she loved it so much!
I found a recipe for something similar that was made in the slow cooker but after I cooked it, the chicken was a bit dry and overdone, and the sauce was so intense it was nearly inedible. So after a few tweaks, I’m am happy to say that this is a much better version!
Firstly, you need to marinade some halved chicken thigh fillets in honey, garlic, low-sodium soy sauce, tomato sauce and dried oregano. The low-sodium soy sauce is actually super important. I wouldn’t use full strength “normal” soy sauce or it will truly be too salty. Trust me on this one.
After your chicken has marinated for at least two hours, carefully remove each piece reserving the marinade. Pan fry the chicken for about five minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
Place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.
Serve your honey, soy and garlic chicken with rice and vegetables with some of the sauce spooned over the top and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Steamed rice and vegetables to serve
- Combine garlic, honey, tomato sauce, soy sauce and oregano in a bowl and stir well. Chop chicken fillets in half and place into the marinate, stirring to coat. Allow to marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Using tongs, carefully remove chicken pieces and reserve marinade. Pan fry the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes each side.
- Pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve chicken with rice and vegetables with a small amount of sauce spooned over the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.